What if there was a miracle cure for your sales teams, to make every person a high-performing quota-buster? In this blog I'm going to explore what it might look like and how you might find this silver bullet!
Last April we set up a special team to focus on bringing to market alternative approaches to drive sales revenue and performance. Some of the projects have already started to yield results, whilst others have had as much success as the Hindenburg airship:
- Our attempt to develop a Siri-like automated sales assistant looked initially promising. However, after suffering from an attack of identity theft, thought to have been contracted whilst internet shopping during its break, our assistant decided that acting was its true calling and is now trying to "make it" in Hollywood.
- The Sales Toaster failed to set the business world on fire - after it did just that to one user's home.
- One team member's passion for sheep fueled a project to continue the cloning research that brought us Dolly the Sheep. The idea was to fuse the genetic code of some of the world's most successful sales people to create the "Super Rep." Unfortunately the clone also picked up on the creator's fondness for all things woolly and eloped with one of Dolly's cousins, never to be seen again.
At this point the team was under much scrutiny and its future was in doubt, but after many a broken egg we may finally have our omelet – Closerlin– a new drug that aims to boost sales productivity and effectiveness. Last week marked the end of a successful six-month clinical trial, the results and details of which are presented below.
The successful sales leaders are looking at the bigger picture and analyzing where they need to make smart investments. Here are some of the things to focus on:
- People: Make sure you are hiring scientifically. Benchmark your candidates against your existing high performers. Build your shortlist in the cloud and socialize the feedback to save time and avoid the significant cost of a bad hire.
- Process: Make it easy for sales to sell and your customers to buy. Provide guided access to the right information at the right time, including product and sales training courses. Clear product pricing and configuration information with automated quote generation will free up a massive amount of selling time and shorten the sales cycle.
- Performance: Digest your big data to drive consistent results across your sales teams. Capture more, better-qualified leads that are ready for sales to execute. Align your incentives and commissions to drive the right behaviors, revealed by your data.
Sales can be a science, but not through an overnight "wonder drug." Smart investments in key areas will yield impressive results. Join us at C3, the year's premier Sales Effectiveness conference, May 6-8 in Las Vegas. Customers, partners and analysts will be sharing their insight on where to make your investment, including Peter Ostrow, author of the recent Aberdeen Group report that reveals how CallidusCloud customers outperformed their peers:
- 181% larger average deal size
- 52% shorter time to productivity for new reps
- 67% lower sales rep turnover