So, you have a decent-sized marketing mailing list. And you have a lot of things to say about what your company’s doing. Plus, you’re running nurture campaigns, and you have a big show coming up.

Get More Precise and Get Better ResultsThat sounds like a lot of email marketing messages! And, if your marketing department is somewhat silo’ed, with an events group sending out emails without talking to demand generation, it could result in an email pileup in your audience’s email boxes. And we all know how that works out: open rates tumble, click-through’s plummet and customers begin to intentionally ignore you – or relegate you to their spam traps.

Even if your organization isn’t silo’ed, the pressure to get these messages out there – and to drive the behaviors they’re supposed to elicit – may result in a disorganized blizzard of messages.

And while it may be advantageous to send a lot of messages at time, they shouldn’t be fired out to all customers, and they shouldn’t be sent in an uncoordinated way.

Part of this involves common sense.
Modern marketing departments have become more savvy about the timing and tempo of email marketing. But this also involves the content of these emails, and the segmentation of the audience. It’s not really about delivering the right message at the right time – it’s now about delivering the right value to each customer.

Customers now expect some value out of their email communications with sellers, especially when the customer starts the conversation.

That means targeting the right content to the right people on your list – which means coordinating emails becomes a much more difficult task.

It’s not impossible, however. Developing a matrix based on multiple demographic, geographic and business factors allow you to understand who’s who and what they might best benefit from. This may give you more and smaller segments, and it may expose areas where you need additional marketing content. But the extra effort is worth it – according to the Lyris Annual Email Optimizer Report, Companies that use email list segmentation saw 39 percent higher open rates and 28 percent lower unsubscribe rates. And the Lyris study examined non-differentiated content, meaning that the numbers will be higher when you apply some verticalization to the process.

Delivering verticalized, targeted content to a highly segmented set of lists means a little more work on the front end – demand generation will have to coordinate with content marketing more, for instance – but in most cases it’s not about more content coordination than content creation. Many organizations don’t realize what content they’ve created in the past, so the first step toward a more verticalized email marketing approach should be a content edit to sort out the material that’s dated or inappropriate from the content that still has power. Next, work with your content creators to fill the holes and to provide the next content items for specific audiences.

This will allow you to home in on specific audiences in your email marketing – and it’ll help you build your content library so that, should a prospect become interested in your business and look for content that may be tangential to his or her initial interest, it will be there waiting for them.

There’s no need to dump all your content on a prospect – give the prospect the content he or she needs and wants today, and don’t be shocked if you find the prospect reading other content tomorrow as a result.

Related Posts

Replacing the cold call: Driving Results with Mark... (Editor’s note: Doug Erb is the founder of Lanshore and an in-the-trenches marketing automation consultant. He’s seen the way marketing automation can...
Four Good Reasons That Sales Should Get Excited Ab... It used to be that the CMO perpetually had his head on the chopping block while the executive running sales had a little more confidence in his or her...
How to Up Your Lead Nurturing Game Only about 25% of the leads that marketing hands over to sales qualify as immediate sales opportunities. The remaining 75% of leads are time wasters i...
Marketing and Sales: Building Bridges We’ve all seen or heard sales and marketing bad-mouth each other, but here are some facts to prove bad relations prevail. A mere 26% of sales reps say...